Re: Need help please respond + Toastmasters

Subject: Re: Need help please respond + Toastmasters
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:44:57 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <NarrWriter -at- aol -dot- com>
To: <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
Cc: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: May 29, 2001 9:43 AM

> When speaking for media or on certain occasions when words are
needed to
> connect the parts of an evening or an event, there is no substitute
for
> experience.

Which is one of the things Toastmasters experience is supposed to help
the member develop--experience getting up in front of an audience in a
variety of speaking roles. Learning by doing is an importan building
block of the Toastmasters program.

> Some of the writing I do is specifically intended for oral
> presentation. Some of the speaking I am asked to do is to create not
just a
> bunch of quotable sound bites, but to project a deeper sense of the
subject
> that is steeped in the image the client believes is in her best
interest.

Which is what all speakers do--create an experience for the audience
that goes beyond content.

Content is only about 7% of the speaker's message. Everything else
comes through persentation.

> When developing toastmaster or other speaking skills: practice,
listen to
> your work and solicit comments from thoughtful constructive critics.
It will
> put a foundation of confidence beneath what you do and make you job
easier
> and entertaining.

Which is the purpose of the evaluation portion of the Toastmasters
program. A good evaluation should give the member immediate feedback
on how the presentation affected the evaluator. The member is free to
incorporate as many of the evaluator's suggestions as the member
wishes--reflecting the fact that people are different and can be
affected differently by the same presentation, and also the fact that
evaluators have differing levels of skill and ability as well.

> That's what the media expects today. News media tends to
> come to the best show. Even the most reserved corporate events are
better
> remembered when the program has speakers that shine, speakers that
tell great
> stories, speakers that connect the audience to the message.

No argument there.

> This does not happen by accident. And while some people are
naturally gifted,
> for most the skill of polished presentation comes only after years
of work.

To reach its peak, any skill requires development.

What programs like Toastmasters and Dale Carnegie (I've benefited from
both) do is give the participants the building blocks. What the
participants do with those building blocks is entirely up to the
participants.

It is not the purpose of these programs to turn the participants into
professional trainers and keynote speakers, though some do go on to
develop those skills.

What they do do is give the participants the confidence and ability to
stand and deliver a message in their workplaces and community groups.
A message that, through understanding of the material and development
of their presentation skills, they have earned the right to give.

--

John Fleming, DTM
Attitude Boosters Toastmasters, Member