Re: XML - where's the beef?

Subject: Re: XML - where's the beef?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 08:01:10 -0700 (PDT)

> Among other things, they predicted that within a
> couple of years (approximately this past October),
> there would be both XML authoring and XML presentation
> tools in wide use, much as HTML creation tools and
> browsers were ubiquitous in 1998.

I think that the strength of the *ML language isn't *ML itself, but
what it is used for. I don't think anyone is going to say "WOW...look
at this application...it is *ML!", but rather, look at the reduction
in cost I'm realizing from the redundant use of data.

Example. Until I accepted the position at Avaya, I interviewed with a
startup called CPA2BIZ. In talking with them, we addressed something
called XBRL (extensible business reporting language), a variation of
XML. The purpose is to format all financial information such as 10k,
annual reports, and all the information you need to submit to the
SEC, to shareholder, banks, financial institution, accounting firms,
etc.

By presenting information in this manner, for example, the same
information used for a financial statement presented as a web page
can also be used in an Oracle database or imported into a
spreadsheet.

This is real stuff. Morgan Stanley (among others) is submitting all
financial information with this method. ALL of the major financial
and accounting firms are behind this. The cost savings is amazing.

This is a case of not "LOOK! I'm using XML!", but rather, quietly and
in the background, just taking a technology and putting it to work.

This link will give you more information:

http://www.xbrl.org/

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/