Re: Losing my profession?

Subject: Re: Losing my profession?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:18:43 -0700

Andrew Plato wrote:

> Most of the engineers and technology managers I meet all say the same thing.
> They are fed up with technical writers who cannot handle technical issues. As
> one CTO I know says "You're f_cking **technical** writers - you should know
> technical sh_t!"

Most CTOs are so desperate that they'll settle for a writer who's
willing to learn.

Their attitude reminds me of my own when I was a university instructor.
I was passionately engaged in my subject, and spend considerable effort
trying to convey that passion. As a result, something died in me each
time I had to deal with a student whose only interest in my classes was
to fulfill a degree requirement with the highest mark possible.

Just like I was in my instructor days, CTOs are excited about what
they're doing. Tech-writers who want to learn just enough to write a
mediocre manual are to them what the time-serving students were to me.

Of course they're exasparated! By their attitudes, the time-serving
writers are dismissing what the CTOs view as important. Show me a person
who isn't exasparated at their interests being dismissed, and I'll show
you a person who's embalmed.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"All the federales say
They could have had him any day,
They only let him slip away
Out of kindness, I suppose."