Re: Tech Writers and the GRE

Subject: Re: Tech Writers and the GRE
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:04:48 -0600

I've been curious for several months now (ever since I took the test
actually) about how other tech writers have scored on the different areas of
the GRE -- and whether you took it before or after you worked as a tw. My
highest score was on the logic section (a frustrating 790), followed by the
math section with the verbal coming in last.

Frustrating how? That's a helluva score. Do you mean frustrating because you missed a perfect score (800)?

I think that my profession actually worked against me on the verbal portion
of the test because it focused on vocabulary and your command of big words.
Most of the words on the test are words that I would probably never use in a
technical document.

If you learn something about how Greek and Latin work, you can solve a lot of the vocabulary questions by process of elimination. However, I think the worst aspect of the verbal battery in the GRE is that the interpretive passages are so horrendous that someone who focuses on writing clearly and concisely would have a hard time getting through the material without second-guessing what the writer was _trying_ to say.

Of course, the GRE ostensibly tests you to see if you're ready for graduate work. I guess the test developers know exactly what you'll have to contend with when you have to decipher the literature of the discipline. :-)

Bill Burns, Senior Technical Consultant, Scriptorium Publishing
The WebWorks Publisher Cookbook now available
http://www.scriptorium.com/books/wwpcookbook.html
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459