Re: Alligators everywhere

Subject: Re: Alligators everywhere
From: Scott Turner <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:26:10 -0500

Dan Hall wrote:

I think that it's based on the "common sense" idea that making your boss
look good is good for your career / position.

Funny. In my anarchistic assumptions, I've always taken this comment to
mean that, in a hierarchy, you're supposed to give loyalty to those
above, but those above don't feel any obligation to be loyal to you.

No doubt this interpretation explains why I contract by preference. :-)

You can lead a manager, but you can't make him lead.

There is, especially in the business world, a confusion over what management and leadership are.

It is concisely explained as:

You manage the desks and other physical property.
You lead the people who do the work.

If you confuse the two, you will manage not to exercise any leadership. The desks won't follow, and the people will stop working.

The U.S. Army noticed this problem during the Vietnam Conflict. When the best (and worst) of the Harvard Business school practices were substituted for leadership at the level of tactical organizations (battalion, company, and platoon level), the incidence of insubordination, mutiny, and "fragging" became noticeable.

Scott