RE: Nielsen's Rating (and minimum platform specs)

Subject: RE: Nielsen's Rating (and minimum platform specs)
From: Paul Newbold <paul -dot- newbold -at- lightwork -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 16:51:07 +0100

I may be able to provide some circumstantial evidence re a preponderance of
90dpi monitors here. Assuming that monitors capable of running at higher
resolutions have more dpi then the weblogs from two sites that I have data
for (about 40,000 'unique' home page hits per annum)suggest:

800x600 16117 54.86%
1024x768 8430 28.69%
640x480 2030 6.91%
1152x864 1207 4.10%
1280x1024 970 3.30%
Other 477 1.62%
1600x1200 143 0.48%

So on balance I'd guess that only the old vga crowd will possibly be running
at 72dpi which is under 7%. I reckon you'd be safe in assuming 800x600 and
90 dpi as a lowest common denominator (just my considered opinion though).
Just in case anyone's interested 94% of them use also use ms win 95 onwards.

Paul Newbold
LightWork Design
Sheffield UK