Re: FIX: Word freezing on document load

Subject: Re: FIX: Word freezing on document load
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 12:35:51 -0700

Word 2000 documents have a neat clip board that will save up to 12 items. When you're cutting and pasting graphics, a full clip board is enough to crash you good and hard.

Marilynne

At 03:24 PM 7/5/2001 +1000, Steve Hudson wrote:

Had an interesting situation today - its been a long while since I had to
deal with a corrupt document. Writing a User Guide, its about 900Kb in size,
so getting reasonably large, about 100 A4 pages.

Went to open it again after checking it into source safe after a huge update
run, adding lots of drawing objects and pix and it froze up on load. Yikes!
It was going to really stuff me up, so I wanted to avoid having to revert to
the previous version.

Here's how I got around it. Right-clicked the file, selected New, not Open.
The document loaded. Now, saving it straight away still meant that the
resulting new document wouldn't load - same "freeze" problem. BUT - as I now
had it open, I could cut n paste all but the last para mark into a new
document - which as we all know is the panacea for word problems. Sure
enough, the new document was 13K smaller... now thats a LOT of binary
baggage.

So, don't forget to try New instead of Open if your docs freeze up on load.

Steve Hudson
Lead Technical Writer
Wright Technologies (Aus)
steve -at- www -dot- wright -dot- com -dot- au
(612) 9518-1822
The best way to predict the future... is to create it!

Marilynne Smith
Sr. Technical Writer
QUALCOMM
marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com