RE: Damnit Jim, I'm a Writer, not a Programmer II: The Wrath of K ahn

Subject: RE: Damnit Jim, I'm a Writer, not a Programmer II: The Wrath of K ahn
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 17:10:13 -0400

Andrew,

I despise the "writers only" as much as you. However, there are as many
companies who need tech comm generalists, who can understand processes,
rules, how investment managers use PCs, and how to make sure a trust fund
doesn't go into overdraft (part of what I do), as the folks who can read VB
or any other code and figure out what it does from there. I denigrate
neither, it's just different subsets.

I don't have a sole talent, I have lots of them. It just so happens that my
job descriptions have never included programming ability--I've worked with
programmers who have that in their job description, and who tend to
recognize very quickly what I bring to a team effort of getting a good
product out the door. I understand very general programming concepts, and
could probably recognize some code (and they understand basic rules of
grammar and sentence construction), but my job is as much explaining the
why as the how. And you don't necessarily need to be able to write code to
do that. Learning why bank operations are managed the way they are is
excessively complicated and technical! It just ain't code. And that's OK
with me.

Connie