RE: What we chose

Subject: RE: What we chose
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 11:33:53 -0400

:: About a month ago, I wrote asking for advice. We were going
:: to choose a HAT,
:: and I needed suggestions. Thanks for all the advice, and we
:: have come to a
:: decision. We chose RoboHelp. The reason: The Associate VP
:: of Information
:: Services wanted a not-to-expensive tool that could do XML.
:: The marketing guy
:: from RoboHelp said "We can do that." The marketing guy from
:: ForeHelp, never responded.

Always be careful of what marketing people say... ;) I've found eHelp to
claim a lot of things that aren't totally correct, but it seems RH *does* do
XML to a degree. You do have a snag though - XML has to be validated against
a DTD (document type definition) to be considered "valid". How RoboHelp
handles this I don't know, but I don't think it'd be possible to create
valid XML directly from Word source, unless Word now boasts some sort of
structured definition functionality. I think your output will be
"well-formed" at best (compliant and consistent XML tagging without
validation against a DTD). But that's not necessarily bad, as long as you
have a DTD to compare to after you crank out your output.

Just my $0.02...

:: On another subject, I also wrote about a month ago about a
:: JAVA project that
:: was unusuable-horrible. Someone mentioned learning JAVA
:: might help the
:: project along. Not only is it helping the project along,
:: but I'm getting
:: more respect and assistance from the programmers too. (bonus)

Very cool! It always helps to "speak the same language", or at least talk
somewhat intelligently to their level of comprehension. Sounds like you're
well on your way to producing many good things!

Good luck! :)

BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N