I'm ok if I just don't think (was RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question)

Subject: I'm ok if I just don't think (was RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question)
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:36:45 -0400

We take you on a voyage... a voyage where up is
down, in is out, and meanings are never quite
what they seem.

Does anybody else's mind work this way?

Deborah Ray wrote:

> To what extent do you, a technical writer, have contact
> with the eventual users of your documents?

The short answer is that I selected "Rarely", but
could you possibly imagine the contortions I went
through to get to that one little button ("Radio... :-)
on the web site?

>From the outset, I was fairly sure there was no way
I'd ever justify "Always". But, that's the only
one that didn't keep passing through my consideration.
"How can that be?" you ask.

I'm constitutionally unable to "just pick one and
then leave well enough alone". In my late, lamented
youth, I had a moderately capable brain and did well
on tests, but never perfectly, even when well prepared.
Why not? Because I'd second-guess myself to death,
dammit, and run out of time.

So, what could possibly be anything but straightforward
about the poll question and the choice of answers? For
many of you, not a darn thing. It's black and white.
For me...

Well, perhaps two of our customers live in this
city, and I've only ever visited the premises of
one of them. It helps that they are a couple of
the bigger customers, but that leaves hundreds,
scattered around the world that I've never visited
and likely never will.

Mostly, I don't even correspond with them. After all,
who is "them", exactly? Even after the layoffs, how
many employees work for Entrust, for example?
So, it looks like I'm a good candidate for "Never"
as my Poll answer.

But wait, several of our people used to work for
Entrust and/or for a couple of our other customers.
And, hey, they're TECHNICAL! Does that mean I
should choose "Frequently" or "Always"?

Well, they don't actually work for the customer
anymore, so ... am I back to choosing "Never"?
Seems a little harsh, given how good their
understanding is and how much I've gotten from
them, and continue to get.

But, we have all kinds of other customers, many
of whom don't even fall into the same categories.
I've never visited the offices of Visa corporation.
That's a "Never"... But, of course, I have a VISA
card and I kinda understand -- in a theoretical
way, at least -- where/how our product fits into
VISA's operations. Hmm.

Well, no, I don't get any points there, because
I don't even know where in the world the VISA
offices live that actually buy and use our product.
I met some VISA visitors once, who were in-house
as part of a negotiation/evaluation visit... but
what relationship they might have with the IT
or security folks who'll actually ignore my
manuals... well, I don't have the foggiest.

Royal Bank? Hey, I use their automated teller,
right across the parking lot. But, even the
technician I talked to once, when she was
there to service the machines, has nothing to
do with OUR encryption hardware, which lives
elsewhere in the corporation's structure.
No joy there. (Am I back to choosing "Never"?)

Ahh, but I monitor our Customer Support e-mail
and I frequently ask our support reps to clarify
what problems the customer might have encountered
with the docs, and I pay attention to the replies
our people send to customers, and I often
incorporate those replies into future docs...
Does that count? It's not direct contact, but
it's information direct from the front lines,
isn't it? (I'm not allowed to correspond directly
with Support clients, because our corporate policy
is to promote a *single* point of contact, and I'm
not a member of Customer Support.)

Hmm. It took a LOT longer to write it, but all of
that went through my brain between the time I
read the poll question and the time I got my
mouse over the first button... that I then
rejected... and came back to... and rejected
again... and.... well, you're beginning to get
the idea.

So, anyway, I said "Rarely", but I have no idea
if my response conveyed anything valid or
meaningful about my situation.

Deb? Would you have understood my situation
from the single choice "Rarely"??
On umpty-seventh thought, I think I could have
said "Occasionally". Dammit.

Anybody else have that problem?

The above is analogous to how I've approached
every poll question since I started.

I don't answer political polls or TV-rating
polls. They never ask a question (no matter how
many questions they ask in an attempt to bracket
my views) that describes a situation the way I
see/live it. Ask me why I can't play games
like SimCity. It's a related problem. I can't
agree with their basic assumptions.

I can't remember the last time I witnessed an
argument (or took part in one... :-) in which
I couldn't see both sides... as well as several
*other* sides that nobody was covering at the
time.

With all this clutter, it's a wonder I get any
manuals written.

Does everybody else go unhesitatingly to a poll
selection, never doubting that what the pollster
meant is what you mean... and that your answer
is going to convey what you wish to the pollster?

/kevin (my middle name is "Dither")