the dearth of documents on documenting APIs and SDKs

Subject: the dearth of documents on documenting APIs and SDKs
From: Mandy Wells <mwells -at- valadeo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:22:10 -0400

Carol wrote:
:: Hi, I've been looking for a book to learn api
:: documentation...

And I, too, have looked high and low for a book on writing APIs and SDKs,
and although there are vast rafts of books on being a technical writer,
managing documentation, writing for on-line and off-line, books for dummies,
idiots and everyone else, there is nothing (nothing except the Gordon and
Gordon workbook) for writing APIs and SDKs.

Why is that? And, why haven't one of you brilliant API/SDK documenters
documented the process and sat back to rake in the millions of dollars (OK,
hundreds...hmm, maybe tens of dollars) flowing in from grateful
not-technical writers like me?

Rudderless on my raft of irrelevant books,
Mandy