Re: PDF and Word graphics problem

Subject: Re: PDF and Word graphics problem
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:06:21 -0500

Maryann asked about missing and distorted graphics in PDF files...

Check your GIFs in Photoshop and make sure they're not transparent GIFs. A
quick way to fix this is to open the file, select all, copy, and then
create a new file, making sure the background color is set to "White" and
not "Transparent." Paste the image into the new, non-transparent file and
save as a GIF. This should fix the graphics-overlapping-text problem. (Your
Paint Shop Pro files may be okay because you don't have transparency set as
a default for GIFs there.)

I don't think you can drag actual Word files into Distiller. To go the
Distiller route, you need to either (1) use the PDFMaker add-on for Word
(select Distiller and not PDFWriter), or (2) print your Word doc to a .PS
or .PRN file using the Distiller printer driver, and then drag that file
onto Distiller. (You're right to use Distiller. PDFWriter doesn't handle
graphics as well.)

Maybe someone else can offer suggestions on the linked images that don't
show up. I avoid linked images entirely after inheriting a document full of
them from someone else--because the links went to her personal directory on
the server, which no longer exists, I had a couple hundred pages of broken
links and therefore no images. I believe linked images are much more
trouble than they're worth. If you use images saved in a format with decent
compression, like GIF, saving them with the Word file doesn't add much to
the size of your document. I have a 200-page doc loaded with GIFs that
comes in around 2 MB. Just my opinion. Others disagree...

HTH,
Christine