Re: Damnit Jim, I'm a technical writer, not a writer!

Subject: Re: Damnit Jim, I'm a technical writer, not a writer!
From: Chris Hamilton <cah_91 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:36:25 -0700 (PDT)

There's another aspect of this discussion that we
haven't touched yet. Reading code comes in handy and
is great in terms of establishing trust with the
developers, but what's more important (at least for
the tools I have documented) is understanding the
implementation (how the thing works and fits together)
versus the means of the implementation (the code).

I used to code, but I'm very rusty and cannot market
myself as a developer. But I understand how the pieces
fit together. I understand how you use XML to model
business flow and the advantages and disadvantages of
hooking that business flow to the payload. I
understand the ins and outs of distributed computing.
These are the things that bring me real value because
they help me make sense of the things I'm documenting.
I understand why they work the way they do, and I have
a leg up on understanding the potential trouble spots.

Chris Hamilton
cah_91 -at- yahoo -dot- com

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/