RE: Function Points

Subject: RE: Function Points
From: "Ward, Curtis (DST-CLT)" <curtis_ward -at- dstinteractive -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:02:20 -0400

Based on a couple of responses I have received, my request might have been a
little abbreviated (blame it on multi-tasking). A little more background:

We are already doing function points and have devised a system that appears
to be working pretty well. We'll know a little more when we have a history
of estimates and actuals to compare.

My concern at this time is that the documentation we will need to produce is
not adequately accounted for in the function point counts. In theory,
documentation should be included in the point count for functionality (i.e.
function points for a given piece of functionality should account for the
time and resources required to produce the documentation for that
functionality). In our case I'm not convinced that is happening.

My question to the esteemed members of this list: Has it been your
experience that function points counts give an adequate level of effort that
includes all required documentation for a project, or have you have to make
adjustments to account for doc? And if you have made adjustments, how did
you go about it?

cw

BTW: Donn, thanks for the web site reference. I didn't know about this
resource -- looks like a good one.

Curtis Ward
DST Interactive
curtis_ward -at- dstinteractive -dot- com
"Technology is not the important thing, the effects of technology on people
is."
Harlan Ellison