Re: A/An

Subject: Re: A/An
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:14:08 -0500

Others have answered this question correctly, i.e., the way I would have ;-), so
that's not why I'm replying. Over the years I've relied on *Dictionary of
Problem Words and Expressions* by Harry Shaw for guidance on questions such as
this. The book consists mostly of pairs of words that are often confused,
although it also addresses individual words that are often misused or
misunderstood. There are other references like this available. I highly
recommend such books to all writers.

Kelly, I in no way mean this as criticism of you for posing the question to the
list. Everyone, I don't mean this to start a war about whether to post a
question like this to the list, or how much research one should do beforehand. I
am just sharing information about a resource I have found helpful. (Having a
printed resource also lets you demonstrate the correctness of your choice should
some pointy-haired boss say "well I just think 'a SI' sounds better.")

Jo

--
Jo Baer
Senior Technical Writer