Nested tab page nomenclature

Subject: Nested tab page nomenclature
From: Larry Sherman <lsherman -at- documentology -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 00:04:46 -0400

Hello whirlers,

I'm writng a user manual for an Oracle-forms-based radar database
subsystem. There is a great deal of data to be entered into one set of
related tables, so the forms designer has used tab pages to place the
fields on the form. The tab pages are nested, in that a second row of
related tabs appear when certain tab pages have the focus, something
like this (if it appears correctly in your e-mail editor):
____ ______ _____ _____ ________ _______ _____
| Site | Airport | Route | Radar | Altimeter | External | etc....|
------------------- | -------- |
_____|_____|_____
| Airway | SID | STAR |
------------------------------

When directing the user to some field on the SID tab, for example, I'm
working on this construction:

To enter the starting point for the first SID at Iqualuit Airport,

1. Click the Route tab

The Airway, SID and STAR nested tabs appear.

2. Click the SID tab, then click in the Starting Point field.

The user representative likes "nested", and some members of the
development team like "sub-tabs", but I'm inclined to avoid either and
simply say, "The Airway, SID and STAR tabs appear".

Checking the MMoS, I find references to the correct use of "tab" and
"tab page", but no guidance on the nested situation.
Any thoughts?

Larry Sherman
Chief and Only Docologist, Documentology