Insurance (was: Looks like I'll be freelancing again)

Subject: Insurance (was: Looks like I'll be freelancing again)
From: Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:26:56 +0800

So, I'm finishing my second week as a re-born freelancer. Many thanks to everyone who shared advice and sympathy, both on and off the list.

It will take time to build my freelance client list back to the point where I can pay my share of the mortgage with it. But things are looking promising, with contracts for several decent-sized projects in negotiation.

Unfortunately, all of the potential clients require proof of insurance. I let my independent business insurance lapse when I took the full-time job, and that company no longer covers home-based businesses. I've got a terrific local independent agent, and I scrounged several suggestions for General Commercial Liability options from various list archives, so that part is probably OK.

What's holding me up now is...Workers Compensation and Statutory Disability Insurance. One of the insurance companies that handles NYS-WC wants to classify me as "Publishing and Printing", which puts me in a high-risk category along with press operators. The other company says "Computer Industry" --- just as high-risk, since it includes hardware and network technicians who work with high-voltage equipment. The premiums are outrageous.

So---for those of you who pay your own Workers Comp---what industry are you classified under to get the premiums down to a reasonable level?

Thanks,
--
Kat Nagel
"If the business notion of best practices had been applied from the

At 9:41 PM +0800 6/18/01, Katherine Noftz Nagel wrote:
Got called into NewBoss's office this afternoon. RTE "has re-evaluated the way it handles documentation, in the light of the current economic situation, and has decided that it would be in the company's best interest to continue our relationship on a freelance basis".