Re: Mil Specs and IETM question

Subject: Re: Mil Specs and IETM question
From: "Simon North" <north -at- synopsys -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:04:50 +0200

Hi Beth,

> Do you think it's possible for a person to bone up on them and get a
> chance at an interview?

Is it possible for someone to learn quantum physics in a weekend?

Yes to both questions, but it depends a lot on the person, it
depends on how long there is, it depends on how much they know
already, and it depends on the interviewer ...

If you understand the basics of SGML and know a little about
HyTime, you should be able to BS with the best of us ;-) . Reading
the web sites I'll give you should help with the rest.

> "Knowledge of" IS a rather vague req., so I would guess so. And where
> I could find them?

The specs are available online at no charge and have been since
the beginning. Try:

http://www.ietm.net/standards.html

or the US Navy site at:

http://navysgml.dt.navy.mil/ietm/ietm.html

There are quite a few other sites, but I think you'll find the most
important are linked from these two sites.

> Oh, and while I'm begging for info, I'd also like to know whether any
> of you can tell me a little about "Interactive Electronic Technical
> Manuals (IETM)." I had never heard that term. What type of software is
> used to create them?

Depends on the type of IETM. "IETM" per se is a very vague, all-
embracing term. There are five recognised 'classes' (the Navy site
has a good description of what the classes mean), covering
everything from an Acrobat PDF file, through Windows Help, to full-
scale artificial intelligence software.

The software therefore covers an incredibly wide range from simple
HTML editors through HATs, to such tools as Authorware, Director,
RoboHelp, .... and beyond. There are a few proprietary packages,
and there are a few semi-official DoD packages (you used to be
able to download these for free, but I haven't checked in a while;
follow the links!).

Hopefully the web sites I've identified will give a good start. If you
need more help, get back to me. I know I have copies of all the
relevant standards on CD somewhere here ...

Regards,

Simon North