RE: Writing nonsexistly <g> (Was: Pronouns with User)

Subject: RE: Writing nonsexistly <g> (Was: Pronouns with User)
From: Gavin Ireland <gavin -dot- ireland -at- sharpowl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:57:57 +0100

Have to agree with Geoff about this one, however I have the advantage that
in the aerospace industry (my first writing job) they have a writing spec.
called Simplified English. This has very strict rules, including I, you, he,
him, she, her etc are not allowed ever! So you have to find other ways of
writing it.
On the subject of Simplified English, it is very restrictive, but I am
continuing to apply the principles even though I have left aerospace now.
The principles without the rules make it easier to write and make the
results easier to translate.
I am considering putting together a more generic version of my Simplified
English experiences and publishing it on the web, so watch this space. (any
suggestions will be gratefully received).