RE: Spelling out, was Acronyms

Subject: RE: Spelling out, was Acronyms
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:57:43 -0500

I agreed with Tom, off-list, but offer this point for the list to consider.
Maybe my logic is off.

In the industry I work in, telecommunications, there is a term PIC, which
stands for Primary Inter-exchange Carrier. I worked here for awhile before
1) I ran into the term in the help text and 2) found one reference to
"Primary Inter-exchange Carrier (PIC)" in many many help text documents.

While it may not add nothing to the discussion, I then understood what it
means to say "MCI is my PIC" and "why I picked (not PIC'd) A&T" is right. I
think terms like this are worth a pop-up definition in the online Help so
that if someone doesn't remember what it is, they can click and find out.

In April, 2001, an email was sent out internally that stated "[PIC] was used
incorrectly in our Explanation of Changes (EOC)
documents and in one error message." A client had noticed this. I have this
email directly in front of me now to remind me of the differences. Maybe I
don't refer to it, maybe I already know it and use the email as a safety
net, but at some point there was confusion regarding when to use the term.
And that to me would justify having a simple pop-up definition for the term
in the online help and, if a glossary was included in the document,
including it there.

As far as ACSII goes, I don't see what harm is being done by including a
definition of it. That you retain what it stands for in your brain? What's
the harm in that?

Paul