RE: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out?

Subject: RE: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out?
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:52:27 -0400

Anne -dot- Robotti -at- radisys -dot- com [mailto:Anne -dot- Robotti -at- radisys -dot- com] said:

>I took the Objective off my resume five years ago and never
>looked back.
>That and Interests/Hobbies.

I thought of that, but I retain the Interests/Hobbies section
because it has proven useful. People ASK in interviews,
when they see "Skydiving". They also tend to take it the right
way when I highlight "Instructor for x-many years" and list
my coaching certifications.

It implies (whether correctly or not) that I'm not afraid
to take risks -- it also helps that I come across as
personable but business-conservative... no obvious piercings
and tatoos and I keep the crazed look toned *way* down...
When I say that I've trained hundreds of people
to safely make first jumps, never lost one, and had only
two refusals in eight years, it suggests that I'll be
capable and persuasive in giving presentations and in
coaching/mentoring.

Of course, I may never know how many of my applications
might have been slam-dunked into the round file, as soon
as the word "skydiving" was glimpsed. :-)

Of course, my wife can go me one-or-two better, because in
addition to those same qualifications, she can claim to
be a national record holder and to have participated in
national and international record attempts, as well....
dammit! :-)

/kevin