Re: Spelling out, was Acronyms

Subject: Re: Spelling out, was Acronyms
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:12:46 -0400

Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

> > I think if the acronym helps to explain the concept,
> >then it's okay to define it. If it adds nothing to
> > the discussion, leave it out.
>
> My opinion in a nutshell. I don't need to know how my "snake belt"
> works to drive my car ... and I don't need to know what ASCII
> *stands for* in order to explain what it *means.*
>
> I'm not adverse to putting it into a glossary so that the curious
> can look it up (this was the compromise I suggested to the other
> writer at the time). But I do feel that it's more important to
> educate the reader on the concept of the term rather than the
> meaning of the individual letters.

I agree with the above for acronyms that are common for your industry,
things like ASCII or BNC. These should be in the glossary for anyone
that needs or wants more detail, but in the text you should provide
only what is needed to do the task or understand the explanation.

However, if you or your SMEs are inventing a new acronym, or other
term, specifically for your product, then I think you must explain
it in the text when you introduce it.