RE: ... what makes a resume stand out?

Subject: RE: ... what makes a resume stand out?
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:22:39 -0500

Hmmmm......

Objective:
To secure a position with a growth-oriented firm where I can use my skills
as a developer and systems architect, while continually increasing my
leadership and management skills to better enhance the company's product.

My problem with Objective statements is this:

If this person found a growth-oriented firm where they could use their
skills as a developer and systems architect, but it paid absolutely
nothing, would they take the job? I mean, it meets their objective....

Is it really their objective to better enhance the company's product? Or,
is that the implied promise they are making in return for a paycheck (I
mean, they typically do not hire people to undermine a product)?

I don't mean to sound crass, but let's face it--our objective when applying
for a job is...to get the job (so we can make money so we can feed the
kids, pets, spouses; pay the mortgage/rent; drive a car; buy a 63" HDTV with

home theater system; etc.).

Everything else is really icing on the cake. Growth-oriented? Fine.
Great.
Icing on the cake. But, if I were unemployed, I would definitely settle
for a status-quo-oriented firm that could pay (until something better came
along, of course).

Team focused? Sure, I prefer that. Again, given a choice between
unemployment and working in solitary confinement, I would probably
endure solitary confinement (at least until something better came
along, of course).

And I cannot really see a company denying the fluff that shows up in these
statements: "I see in your objectives that you are looking to work for
a company that leverages the synergies of e-growth and i-knowledge, is
growth- AND team-oriented, and provides a path for you to conquer the
world. Sorry, we don't really leverage anything, we discourage teamwork,
our CEO is trying to figure out how to lose market share, we don't know what

e- or i- is, and there is no career path for the position. So, when can
you start?"

As Andrew mentioned, companies typically want to know what you bring THEM,
and are fairly unconcerned with what your objectives are. Which is why
I removed it from my resume and instead use a cover letter to tell the
company how I can help them meet THEIR objectives.

Jason