RoboHelp Classic Discovery Question

Subject: RoboHelp Classic Discovery Question
From: bbachman -at- justicesystems -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 9:7:49

I'm in a situation where we produce help to ship with our company's
almost-COTS software product.

Some customization of the product is undertaken to customer demands. Prior
to my arrival, this resulted in some incredible near 100% duplication in
the help files (like having to change the same text in three or more
projects when a universal enhancement is fielded).

As an experiment, I set up a trial project with a main topic that calls a
pop-up. In the pop-up (which is in a separate file) is a link to another
main topic (in the same file as the first main topic).

I then set up a second project with two main topics. I imported the pop-up
file to the new project (without copying the file to the new project) and
then made the link from the first main topic to the pop-up. The second
main topic has the same name as the corresponding topic in the original
project.

When I compiled both projects, I was pleased to find that in the second
project, the link from the pop-up did indeed take me to the second main
topic in the second project.

In retrospect it indeed does not appear to be rocket science. But are
there any non-obvious pitfalls?

TIA

-Blaine