Re: another newbie/tight market question

Subject: Re: another newbie/tight market question
From: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- wwc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 11:52:06 -0700

Betsy Boyd wrote:

>Here's the catch: it starts as a one-month contract for $10/hr...the
>recruiter has assured me that when the contract is up, ...she'll do her
>best to ensure that I get more money
>
>SO, I have 2 questions: 1) When I go to the interview, what warning signs
>should I be looking for/questions should I ask to ensure that they aren't
>looking for a glorified admin. assistant and plan to take some unsuspecting
>newbie for a ride?
>
>2) At what point would it be appropriate (i.e., before the interview or
>after the offer or at the end of the contract, assuming I get the job) to
>make >it clear that I'd need about a 50% raise (at least) to keep me
>interested in
>working for them beyond that first month?

_____________

Betsy,

This is purely IMHO, but hopefully it'll generate other responses.

I know times are touch, and we all need to pay the bills, and something is
better than nothing, and you are getting your foot in the door, BUT,

* $10/hr just is not enough. That holds true regardless of which part of
the country you are in, (and I'm assuming the same would be true for
Canada). The STC contract rates (http://stc.org/jobdatabase.htm ) start at
$30/Hr. The first clue is that they are not willing to pay enough. (What
does an admin asst make in your area? Heck, Starbucks pays $7.50, with
bennies!)

* The second clue is that it's a one-month contract. To me that means that
either they don't understand the complexity that a documentaiton project
entails, and the value that a tech writer can add to a product, or, it
means they have a document that needs updating, and they just need someone
to fat-finger in the changes. They don't seem to be involving you in the
planning process, at all.

* You should be able to scope the project, and develop a documentation plan
with milestones, and a review schedule. You need to satisfy yourself that
you will be part of the team, with access to the SMEs, participation in
project and review meetings. Otherwise, it's not worth staying.

* Your best chance at a raise is to demonstrate your value during this
first month. Once your job responsibilities extend beyong the original
contract, you have an arguement for a rate increase. However, I would not
hold out much hope with this employer/recruiter. If they boxed you into
$10/hr, they aren't gping to raise you to $25/hr (which I think is the
absolute minimum for a newbie writer). Start looking for a follow-on
contract.

* I'd check what full-time jobs are paying. As a rough estimate, if a new
writer can get $25,000/yr, I'd set $25/hr as a rate. BTW, if your
circumstances permit, you probably are better off getting some experience
as a full-time staff writer before pursuing any more independent
contracting.

I'd be interested in hearing of your other responses. Good luck, and best
wishes,

Marc

Marc

--
Marc A. Santacroce
925-518-0013

Owner, Senior Technical Writer,
ePubs, Inc.

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For,
indeed, that's all who ever have."
Margaret Mead