RE: re Tech writing to Marcom: Help? (Addendum)

Subject: RE: re Tech writing to Marcom: Help? (Addendum)
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 18:27:27 -0500

I actually prefer to work for a product manager as a resource. They veto
development. They do the project management. And, when the UI is broken,
they get it fixed. I had a doc manager, and the doc department reported to
the VP of Dev. I worked with programming leads and the rest of the
programming team.

They did make us sit with our development teams. Each of us was hired to
work for a particular team. But, somehow I had multiple client teams. We
were a tight group before the disporia, but we managed to keep in touch, and
still use departmental processes and standards. It didn't matter where we
sat.

I now work for project managers that have no pull with the dev teams. It
doesn't help that there is no central authority to cut a deal with. Every
program lead wants the doc to turn out there way. It's a mess.

David