Trivial spelling style question

Subject: Trivial spelling style question
From: sgodfrey -at- ion -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:55:12 -0700

I have a trivial little question but would love responses off-list (am on
digest) about this.
I've been looking wearily through my style guides but am not finding much. This
question relates to the "Spelling out" thread.

There are several instances in a document I'm producing where "part number" is
used before the actual number.
So it looks like:

part number 12-6778

Engineering has a tendency to want to use "p/n" instead of spelling it out. This
is fine, since "p/n" is recognized as "part number" by our readers.

Maybe I'm just over-tired or crazy but I can't find any style directive that
describes how to capitalize "p/n". Should it be P/N or p/n? I thought the
Chicago Manual of Style said that upper case or lower case is sometimes a matter
of choice here. Personally, I think P/N looks bad, as I do with most
capitalization.

Maybe I should just spell it out as "part number"? I'll do that if the consensus
is to spell it out.

It is very important I am correct on this matter on both a technical level and a
grammar level, so I appreciate your help.

Sierra Godfrey
Technical Writer
www.ion.com
sgodfrey -at- ion -dot- com