Re: Documents I'd like to see...

Subject: Re: Documents I'd like to see...
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:3:22

Robin J. writes:
"I'd like to see more documentation that illustrates
potential real-world solutions based on the functionality
of particular software applications. For example, I?d be
interested in seeing how others have used mail merge in
ways other than creating form letters; or how to create a
knowledge base that enables you to maintain, update or
generate an entire policy and procedures manual at the
click of a button; or how (and why) to create an animated
movie using layers in PhotoShop; or creating CBTs in Power
Point."

As someone notorious for pushing software into uses probably never intended
by the original designer, I can sympathize. In my last position I
regularly had to look to online help to not only replace actual training in
certain software (which was nonexistent at that company) but also determine
whether something I was trying was even possible; I came to the
enlightening (and somewhat depressing) discovery that the standard
installations of much of the common "enterprise" software don't include
half the helpfiles,...most notably the ones that let you know that such
functions are possible.

I don't know if such an "expanded usage" guide could ever be included in
the standard app. docs, but I'd appreciate a few "creative solutions"
guides for folks having to use specific tools for those common-but-uncommon
needs/expectations.

A couple examples of such uses I had adventures deciphering:

1. Situation: One of our strategic analysts (way overworked) had to
somehow collect, sort and weed through excerpts from any article (magazine,
industry pub's, press releases, etc.) relating to our industry, and prepare
a quarterly market assessment from them (with internal citations of the
source and date for all articles), sorted by three levels of scope
(international, national and state), and within those levels by 22
arbitrarily-determined categories (to be presented in a specific
non-alphabetical order), about 5 of which had up to 4 sub-categories within
them. Then it had to be attached to the quarterly group/divisional report,
which was in Word. (This was in addition to all her other work--she herself
should have counted as 2.5 FTE's in the company headcount, IMHO.) We had
only the MSOffice Professional package to work with, for tools. The
articles were collected constantly, so I designed a database in Access to
store the excerpts, their sources and dates, and assign
scope/categories/subcategories to them. I wrote a query to ask the date
range for which to pull articles (to limit it to the current quarter), and
then hooked that into a Word merge doc that did all the sorting, plus the
section headers and in-text citations for the articles through an
extraordinarily convoluted set of IF statements and merge codes. The
result was that I'd enter/scan the article excerpts as she fed them to me,
and once a quarter dump them all to a Word doc she just had to cut the fat
out of, add comments to, and then append to the existing quarterly report.

2. Situation: With PDF a non-option, I had to 'port a 900+ page Policy and
Procedures Manual (read: 2-inch doorstop of pure Administratium), some of
which was hardcopy, and some of which was in Word, ABC Flowcharter and
Excel, into an electronic format that had to be easily navigable (read:
hyperlinked), non-editable by the end user (no
save-as-and-edit-to-suit-our-needs risk), accessible by all personnel in
the company through either the intranet or public exchange folders (due to
regional WAN considerations), but *only* those within the company, as well
as have all revisions be immediately available, and include all the
attached flowcharts, tables and forms. I used ForeHelp (then v3.1) to
funnel it into Winhelp, and posted the compiled helpfile on a secured
company webserver, with links to it from both locations it needed to be
accessible through. I got to know the ladies at Forefront's tech support
department very well during this period, since I helped push their
developers through two different patches due to some of the weird things I
was discovering from having to do tables-as-graphics to get everything in.

Shauna Iannone
"Trying to get information from a stressed programmer is like trying to
milk an agitated bat." -- Who, me? :)