Salary (Was Newbie/Tight Market)

Subject: Salary (Was Newbie/Tight Market)
From: "Kelly Williamson" <kwcwtech -at- iwaynet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:53:16 -0400

>On the other hand, I suppose you could total all your benefits and the
> taxes that your previous employer paid on your behalf if you wanted to
> inflate the numbers.

It is my understanding that, in the US, potential employers can ask your
previous employer to *verify* a figure; however, the previous employer
cannot offer it up if you have not provided a figure to verify. In other
words, it would be much better to not give a figure at all than it would be
to make one up--the first they can't do anything about, while they can prove
you're lying with the latter.

Even if you're not "lying" per se, but include all your benefits, taxes,
etc. in the figure, when the potential employer called the previous employer
and said "Joe said he made $95K, is this accurate" the previous employer
would say "No, his salary was $80K" (the details of whether that was total
compensation, etc. probably wouldn't come up and the potential employer
would think you were lying.)

/Kelly