Re: Newbie/tight market question

Subject: Re: Newbie/tight market question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:25:04 -0700

Blaine Bachman wrote:

Later, you can always put a 'spin' on the burger flippin' job as, "what
I did to live while I pursued my preferred vocation in my spare time."

Question: why would you even feel obliged to mention the job? If you're 18, and going for your first full-time job, you might want to show that you're capable of regular work, but how would flipping burgers be relevant when you're applying for a tech-writing job?

The point that I'm trying to stress here is that a resume is not a complete summary of your work experience. While you shouldn't add things, there's nothing wrong with editing. Even the seven years I spent as a university instructor is now reduced to a single line on my resume for tech-writing. When I switched careers, originally I listed this experience with an explanations of what skills I used that might be relevant to technical writing, but, even then, I didn't mention each of my twenty-odd appointments. Once I had a few writing jobs to list, I didn't even bother with that much detail.

"The heart ain't nothing but a fibrous lump
And I just wanna hear it pump."
- The Mollys, "Say Nothing"