RE: Salary issues ( a twist)

Subject: RE: Salary issues ( a twist)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:20:29 -0700

> I wrote:
> Have you managed to avoid disclosing your salary when interviewing? And
> managed to do so without torpedoing the interview?
>
> I'd love to know how.
>
> Despite all the advice I've read in all the job-hunting books, I've never
> been able to wriggle my way around that question, even when I employ the
> techniques so glibly suggested in those books. I usually get asked this
> question during a preliminary interview, when some HR type is screening
> me. They make it seem like the interview will grind to a halt if I don't
> answer...
>
> Got any tips/techniques you'd be willing to share?

I'm getting a lot of replies off-list, but I think some are missing my
point - I must not have worded it well. I'll try again:

During preliminary job interviews (often on the phone, usually conducted
by an HR person), I _always_ get asked this question:

"How much are you making in your current position?"

What I'm looking for is a way to dodge that question without ruining the
interview.

This is not a question about how to set a salary range - I'm getting lots
of advice about that. I just want to not have to tell them how many
Simoleans (sp?) I make.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-Keith