RE: The Agency Issue Returns

Subject: RE: The Agency Issue Returns
From: "Ward, Curtis (DST-CLT)" <curtis_ward -at- dstinteractive -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 07:37:49 -0400

Andrew Plato wrote:
<<<<Theoretically, it shouldn't matter what the agency gets. If they pay you
the rate you want, what do you care if they mark you up 10% or 10000%.

I know what you're thinking..."well if the agency bills $120 per hour, why
can't I make $120 per hour..."

You can: start your own consulting company, advertise, market, network,
get clients, sign contracts, pay employees, deal with accountants and
lawyers, pay corporate taxes, purchase insurance, build a company
infrastructure, work 90 hours a week, etc... >>>>>

I have (gasp!!) agree with Andrew on this.

I worked for a time and materials based consulting firm for some time before
accepting my present position. I had a pretty good idea what my billed rate
was on most contracts and didn't have a problem with it. I was a salaried
employee with benefits and was paid for bench time and occasional training.
I realized that once I factored in those things (insurance, vacation) and
the expenses I would incur as an independent, I was in pretty good shape.
Plus I really had no interest in the sales side of that situation (very
difficult for an independent in this market, as Andrew points out).

Curtis Ward
DST Interactive
curtis_ward -at- dstinteractive -dot- com
"Technology is not the important thing, the effects of technology on people
is."
Harlan Ellison