Re: Doc files in CVS

Subject: Re: Doc files in CVS
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:13:43 -0700

Valerie Hazel wrote:

> Has anyone successfully used CVS for document control?

Yep, daily.

But CVS doesn't store "deltas" (changes) for binary files the way it does for text files--it stores the whole file every time you commit. If you're committing changes to a 2MB file even once a day, the archive copy is going to get *h*u*g*e* and s-l-o-o-w. We change filenames as soon as committing and updating start to take too long.

By the way, when you add a binary file to a CVS archive, be sure to use the "-kb" (keyword=binary) option; otherwise, it'll look like you've checked it in, but it will be "garbage" to anyone else who tries to use it (including you, if you lose your local copy). The command is:

cvs add -kb filename.ext
cvs commit -m "comment" filename.ext

If you forget and add a file without the -kb option, follow these steps:

cp filename.ext save-me.ext
cvs admin -kb filename.ext
cvs update filename.ext
mv save-me.ext filename.ext
cvs commit -m "comment" filename.ext

OK, you don't have to use those filenames; but you have to "update" after you "admin," so be sure to save a copy of the file first. If you don't, the update will overwrite your clean copy with the garbage from the archive.

> Are there any other products out there that can do the job?

Sure--most of our clients use SourceSafe, and it's certainly easier to use than the command-line version of CVS; but it's not going to be able to "diff" binary files in a meaningful way, either.

We let Word do the diffing for us with its invaluable Compare Documents feature. (Sounds like at least *one* thing Word does better than Framemaker.)

Another useful CVS tidbit: If you want to get an older version of a file out of CVS to compare changes to a newer version, be sure to use the "-p" option on the checkout; otherwise, you're effectively creating a branch (which will bite you bad if you really do use branches for parallel development). The command is:

cvs update -r olderVersionNumber -p filename.ext > someOtherFilename.ext

Have fun!

--David

P.S. As for the Windows UI to CVS, I don't use it--I prefer knowing
what's happening)--but I've work with a few folks who like it.
It does a good job with side-by-side comparisons, but (again)
only for text files, not binaries.

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!