RE: Lying About Salary - Results

Subject: RE: Lying About Salary - Results
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:14:15 -0400

Scott,

Curmudgeon that I am, I'm a hard person to hire. I've never had to choose between two offers and have often been in a financial situation where I pretty much had to take the first thing that came along.

Nonetheless, I've always had the gumption to walk away from interviews like the one you describe rather than cave to a question I did not want to answer. The first question to ask yourself is, Would I want to work at a place where someone can get away with that kind of arbitrary policy? I sure as heck wouldn't.

That said, when it comes to salary, I was brought up to believe that it should be the last thing discussed in an interview. First determine if there is a good fit, in terms of skills, culture, duties, etc.; then decide if you can come to an agreement about money.

This can backfire, though. One time I had a couple of great phone interviews, then drove to the company (six hours away) for onsite interviews. First I spoke with the person I'd be reporting to, the person who had interviewed me on the phone. She asked what I needed to earn and didn't flinch when I told her. However, she never communicated this to her boss, who managed the company for a private owner. My final interview was with him, and when we finally got around to money, I mentioned the same figure (nothing outlandish, really). By the time he retrieved his jaw from the carpet, I was out the door and he was calling the woman who had brought me in, to come into his office so he could yell at her in person. Oops!