RE: Lying About Salary - Results

Subject: RE: Lying About Salary - Results
From: "Kristen" <kristen -at- write-connection -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:28:08 -0700

I have been reading the responses to the salary issue and thought I would
give my opinion. I have to ask people about money every day. I am sure
that some people lie but most tell the truth. Those that lie run the risk
of getting busted in a background check. This will completely crush your
chances of getting the job. If you will lie about money, you will lie about
other issues too.

If you are unhappy with your currently salary, or even if you just want/need
more, you should be forthcoming about that. You can say "I am currently
making $XX + benefits but I need to make $XX + benefits in this position
because of these reasons...". This is where you mention why you accepted
the lower rate in your last position, why you can justify making more, and
your dedication to the company, etc. A hiring manager/recruiter will want
to make you happy if they are interested in you. They want to make sure you
will stay with the company and not accept the first thing that comes along
with a higher dollar amount. You end your speech with "I would not turn
down any reasonable offer". This shows that you are open to negotiation.

Don't lie. Just be ready to justify your reasons for wanting more.

Kristen Leduc
Staffing Services Manager