Re: Salary - It's Easy

Subject: Re: Salary - It's Easy
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:21:52 -0400

Andrew Plato wrote:

> People, there is a really super easy way to solve all your salary
> consternation.
>
> Before the interview, think of three numbers:
>
> 1. You're IDEAL, make you happy and feel properly compensated number.
>
> 2. You're lowball, will not take the job for less than that number.
>
> 3. You're negotiation number. This should be slightly above your ideal
> salary.
>
> Let's say you want to make $50,000. But you'll take a job for $40,000 if
> the place is cool. You'd feel great with $55,000
>
> So when the question comes up, how much were you making at your last job,
> you say: "Oh, about $55,000." Even if you were making $32,500, because
> you said **ABOUT** you're not lying. ...

Methinks this is both more honest and likely to be more effective:
"Under 40. That's one reason I'm looking for another job."

You have neither lied nor answered the snoopy question. Answering it
is bad negotiation strategy. Knowing you have been making 32,500, the
other person is tempted to offer, say, 36 or 38.

Hearing that you're leaving because they were paying under 40, the
obvious move is to offer you 42 or so. Only a real idiot is going
to offer 38 after hearing that.

Now the problem is to negotiate between the new $40K floor and the
55 you'd like. Of course, if they ask what you want, you can say
"around 60" or "Well, the STC salary survey says the average for
this class of job is $48K, but as you can see from the resume,
I'm above average."