Salary -- what was the question again?

Subject: Salary -- what was the question again?
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:19:47 -0400

In all the jobs I looked at recently (in Feb. and March, usually through an agency, and for either contract or full-time), there was a range set by HR when the job description was posted (not included on the posting) based on education and experience. They didn't care or ask what I had made at previous jobs. They knew what they would offer beforehand based on market research and company policy. Toronto's not Silicon Valley North, but we're still the biggest market in Canada.

Once the hiring people got through with my resume, they knew pretty much what to offer and weren't flexible outside that number. Every job came in between 50k and 55k. I took the 55k job (they wanted 5+ years, generalist experience, BA in English, or degree in Comp Sci and a tech writing certificate). Heck, I couldn't get an extra day of vacation out of them (that's allowed for managers and up), but I get to work at home once in a while, and the work and people are good.

Karen E. Black
Technical Writer
www.dhltd.com
"Higgledy Piggledy, my white hen;
She lays eggs for gentlemen.
You cannot persuade her with gun or lariat
To come across for the proletariat."
--Dorothy Parker