Re: Invented Words

Subject: Re: Invented Words
From: Bob Hooker <rlhooker -at- telocity -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 20 Jul 2001 05:39:49 -0700

OK, time to come out of lurk mode to add some words I love to hate to the list:

At the top of my list is "trainings," as in "I did some trainings in Dallas last week." The singular variant has acquired an article: "I'm doing a training in Boston next week."

This usage, along with its close cousins "homeworks" and "a homework," seem to be gaining popularity, at least in health care, over the last few years.

Say what you want about the changing nature of the language, these things still make my skin crawl. Worse yet, they're so prevelant around here that I find that I am beginning to pick them up myself. Argh!!