RE: Lying About Salary

Subject: RE: Lying About Salary
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:50:30 -0600

Yo, Bill1.

Does higher education even get factored in once you've built a solid base of
experience? If so, how and why? I'm just curious. All I have is a BS (well,
that and very solid, diverse working experience. *g*), and so far haven't
been able to justify the "upgrade" to MS or PhD. I can see where having a
master's degree would help you get your first few jobs, and how a PhD could
potentially hurt your chances the first few jobs, but other than that,
doesn't experience weigh in much heavier than education?

I have an MA in English, and I haven't found it to be a benefit or liability. (The education itself has been beneficial, of course, but more on a personal than professional level.) I've heard some folks comment that a master's is often considered beneficial, but a Ph.D. to be a liability. The wisdom (?) behind this pronouncement has been based on the perception that folks with master's degrees have endured some of the rigors of graduate work without becoming "tainted" by an academic mindset. The perception seems to be that if you have a Ph.D., you're more prone to thinking you have all of the answers, less able to look at the practical considerations in a situation, and more likely to favor theories that are difficult to apply in the business world. I don't buy into that perception myself, but then I haven't worked with many people with doctorate degrees outside of academia.

One of the technical-communications professors at the local university suggested that graduate work in tech comm is really more appropriate if you plan to teach. Given the focus at that level on rhetoric and theory, I tend to agree, but only for that particular discipline.

Bill Burns, Director - Northwest Office, Scriptorium Publishing
The WebWorks Publisher Cookbook now available
http://www.scriptorium.com/books/wwpcookbook.html
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459