RE: Education at the top of a resume screams "ENTRY LEVEL"

Subject: RE: Education at the top of a resume screams "ENTRY LEVEL"
From: dana saad <dsaad -at- attcanada -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:15:10 -0400

> Education at the top (of a resume) pretty much screams "Entry Level".

Last year at a time when I had virtually no work experience as a tech writer, an old salt reviewed my resume and told me the same thing (but I didn't listen and still kept 'Education' at the top). She also said that a functional resume would be more effective than a chronological one.

Now that I have 1 year of experience, I am considering the following order for my resume:

1. Computer Skills
2. Technical Writing Courses
3. Education (B.A. English + B.Ed Education)
4. Writing and Editing Experience
5. Translation Experience
6. Teaching and Curriculum Design Experience

With this 'order of relevance' format, I'm able to keep the entire first page related to tech writing (mostly). I see my 1-year of experience as a weakness at this point and am trying to 'accentuate the positive'.

I view my knowledge of the tools of the trade (Robohelp, Frame, Visio, etc.) as my strongest asset and hope that listing them first will help diffuse the limited work experience issue. Does anyone disagree with putting Computer Skills first?

I only have 2 writing jobs and hesitate to move the first 3 sections to the bottom. I also don't want the B.A English to go unseen and hope that the curriculum design element of my B.Ed is a vague asset.

I include the remaining sections because I have done some technical translations. I also hope that the teaching stuff can be viewed in terms of curriculum design and relevant for creating training materials, etc.

Any comments?

Christine