RE: OT - Backups

Subject: RE: OT - Backups
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:42:53 -0700

Make is a very functional, free and useful tool that can do what you wan't.
You will need to do some initial setup, but once you setup the makefile, the
rest should be a cinch. If you are using windows, you can get make with the
cygwin package, www.cygwin.com .

20GB of data? That's gonna be about 30+ cds, yikes! If you are going to do
this regularly, I'd recommend a different media (even though you said not
tape), and wouldn't discount the value of retail tools. If you have the
fastest retail CD-RW (10x I think), you are still talking about 6-8 minutes
to record a 650MB cd. Multiply that by 30, and there goes the afternoon just
swapping discs out of the drive.

Sure recovering from tape is slow, but it seem like a pick your poison
situation. Spend more time doing the backup, or more time doing the
recovery. Since you must back up all the time, and recover (hopefully)
infrequently, there is a huge time savings in using tape.

Another thing to consider is an ATA-RAID controller and some new hard
drives. For not much more than a fast CDRW drive, you could probably get a
pair of 20GB drives and a controller. You do lose the advantage of taking
the tape/cds off-site though.

Best of luck.

Richard Smith

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at