RE: Benchmarking Technical Documentation

Subject: RE: Benchmarking Technical Documentation
From: "Tom Johnson" <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:52:14 -0400

I'm surprised the writers aren't able to give you specifics. Is it possible
to find out what source they are citing?

I learned in my first job that people frequently aren't very sincere about
their opinions regarding manuals. When I wrote my first manual, my boss
asked me to contact a few software beta testers that were testing a new
product. We had provided preliminary documentation for them to use. The
first tester said, "It is the easiest manual to understand that I've ever
read." That was good news, how can I improve on that, I thought. Next
victim, er tester, "The manual is unusable, there are a lot of vague areas."

"Can you give me a page number where it is vague?"

"Uh, no. I didn't read it."

So much for exit polls. Somewhere in between is what the users really
thought of the manual. At the risk of sounding simplistic, I would suggest
getting your hands on a manual from XYZ and taking a look at it. See what
they are doing differently and deciding whether you can learn something from
their example. Chances are you are doing some things better than they are
and they are doing some things better than you are. Some cross pollination
will probably help your manuals.

Geoff Hart made some good points about ways to categorize evaluation
criteria. I'd take a look at everything from the cover design and binding to
typography and illustrations.

Have fun.

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
Elk Rapids Engineering/Star Cutter Company

231-264-5661 voice
231-264-5663 fax

Work johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
Personal thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at