RE: Benchmarking Technical Documentation

Subject: RE: Benchmarking Technical Documentation
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:44:07 -0600

re: I have to agree with Richard Smith and Andrew Plato, content is more
important than format.

Sure, but content is 51% and format is 49%, isn't it?

Seems a bit an irrelevant discussion since it's the subject matter experts'
responsibility to verify adequacy and completeness of content and it's the
tech writer's responsibility to ensure readability, i.e. create the best
format. This is a list for tech writers--yes 49% means we are "support" but
where's the problem in that?

Next time you fly consider whether your pilot has a pile of engineering
drawings to pore through (the content is all there ... somewhere) or some
ergonomically designed checklists to reference. Others can provide more
examples where format can be pretty important.

Best things to "benchmark" as regards this discussion are the successful
teaming of the tech writer and the product designer and then whether the
reader "gets it." But not "gets it eventually" and not "we're not liable
because it was 'in there,'" but gets it as needed and as required and
usefully, easily, successfully, accurately, safely, etc.

Tech writing is important and you let "format" slide at your peril.

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at