RE: Benchmarking Technical Documentation

Subject: RE: Benchmarking Technical Documentation
From: Katherine Turner <katherinet -at- csl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:45:34 +0100

I know our support team welcomes documentation as it means that the number
of support calls and emails is reduced if the documentation is good. This
means that support, to some degree, is reliant on documentation.

Some of the other issues raised to do with readability, content, format etc
are all to do with the documentation process that is in place.

This is how we create documents:

1. Outline - an outline is written which says exactly what will appear in a
document. It is either written by a member of the docs team or an SME.
2. Outline Review - the outline is reviewed by an SME
3. Write - the document is written
4. Technical Review - the document is reviewed for technical accuracy and
completeness. This is always done by an SME. This SME may or may not be the
same as the SME who did the Outline Review.
5. Revisions - revisions made based on technical review. These revisions are
made by the writer.
6. Readability Review - this is done by a member of the docs team. I believe
that this is an essential part in the clarity, readability, grammar etc of
the document.
7. Revisions - revisions based on readability review. This revisions are
made by the writer.
8. Formatting, indexing.

Stage 8 encompasses everything that is left, basically because it's being
done by the same person.
Stage 6 onwards are "nice to have" but not essential stages.

I do think the readability review is extremely important but it's down to
pressures and timescales as to how much gets done. If we are under pressure
we try and ensure that as much as possible of the 8 stages is done although
all revisions may be done at the same time. As all documentation created by
the docs team is done in a standard template the overall formatting of the
document becomes less important because some of it should already have been
done.

The above documentation process works extremely well for us although we're
still human and the odd thing here and there does slip through the net.

Katherine Turner

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at