Re: Procedural Info.

Subject: Re: Procedural Info.
From: "Ward, Curtis (DST-CLT)" <curtis_ward -at- dstinteractive -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:10:23 -0400

Andrew wrote:

>>> What's the best way to present procedural information where instructions
>>> depend on the type of software you are using?

Actually that was Loraine's question, not mine.

As for Andrew's "two split" rule, I concur (and said as much in my original
posting). I use FrameMaker on NT and have found a number of the reference
books that attempt to address Windows, Unix, and Mac at the same time in
each step to be rather a pain to read.

I might even goes as far as to suggest two separate manuals or chapters, if
there is enough of this "splitting" to justify and it would make things
clearer to the user. Depends on the context.

cw
Curtis Ward
DST Interactive
curtis_ward -at- dstinteractive -dot- com
"Technology is not the important thing, the effects of technology on people
is."
Harlan Ellison

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at