Re: About Technical Communicators Job

Subject: Re: About Technical Communicators Job
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:27:23 -0400

Yogesh,

I will not speak to your qualifications, because I am not familiar with
the scoring scale of the TOEFL. However, obtaining a job _in_ the US
depends on more than your skill level.

In order to work here, you would need an appropriate visa. If you are
able to immigrate to the US and work here for a reason such as being
married to an American citizen, then you may be able to compete for a US
job. However, if you do not have such special circumstances, you would
need what is called an H1B visa.

This requires that an employer certify that qualified US citizens are
not available to fill the job. There have been thousands of H1B visas
issued for software developers, because employers have been able to
persuade the US government that there is a shortage of qualified
developers here. With the recent downturn in the US economy, though,
many or most of these visas are not being renewed. In any case, I am not
aware that any company has tried to persuade the government that we are
suffering from a shortage of qualified tech writers--especially with all
the recent layoffs.

On the other hand, you may find it easier to get a job _in India_
working _for_ a US company. There are several agencies that specialize
in making such arrangements.

Good luck,

Dick

yogi112 -at- hotmail -dot- com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a technical writer and working in India. I've experienced that it is
> very difficult to get a job in US as a technical communicator because India
> is a non-english speaking country. But if I clear TOEFL exam with a score of
> 650 or above, can I get a job in US as a technical writer. Cn the employer
> trust me to be suitable.

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at