Running Authoring Apps from CD

Subject: Running Authoring Apps from CD
From: "Mark Emson" <mt -dot- emson -at- ntlworld -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:01:48 +0100

Hi all,

I've just been in the situation where I've had to do a job away from my
normal office PC and without the facility to link-up to my own. I should
have anticipated the problems better but I ended up struggling all for the
lack of a couple of my favourite authoring/software tools.

In future, I'd like to carry a CD containing all of my nifty tools and
gadgets so that I can work without having to go through a full install and
hence not clutter someone else's PC with my junk.
Does anyone know a way of installing stuff to a CDR so that it acts as a
hard drive. (Not forgetting that many programmes want to make registry
entries) - can a CD contain its own alternative registry?

If you are a software guru you may be laughing at the idea and possibly my
naivety but, If anyone knows how, please post it up so that we can all
benefit from your wisdom. Alternatively why not tell me why it can't be
done.

Thanks in advance

Mark Emson.

mt -dot- emson -at- ntlworld -dot- com

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at