Re: "Writing samples" for an editor...

Subject: Re: "Writing samples" for an editor...
From: Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:24:43 -0400

jhoadley -at- gol -dot- com wrote:

> I have been working as a Technical Editor at a Japanese company for the
> last 4 years. I am trying to return to the US, but I haven't had much luck.
> The few employers who have been willing to accept the fact that I'm
> relocating from overseas have demanded "writing samples." Since I'm an
> editor, and not a writer, I have very few of those. I do have some "before
> and after" copies of documents to which I have made major changes. Is it
> acceptable to send those instead? For those of you have have made hiring
> decisions before, what would you think if you received documents like
> that?

Perhaps the writer meant to write
"editing samples"? Could be as simple as
a typo, I think.
At any rate, those are what you want to
submit for an editing job. There is
certainly no reason you cannot write
back and confirm your understanding that
the employer wants to see "editing
samples."

--
Bonnie Granat