RE: Vector graphics?

Subject: RE: Vector graphics?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:07:14 -0400

Arlen Walker reports: <<This makes twice in one year I've found something to
correct is Geoff's post. (You're slipping, old sod.)>>

I _meant to do that_. <g> I just do it to check whether you're still reading

<<Actually, most OCR programs today will accept bit-mapped images, such as a
screen capture, and work their text identification wonders on them. So, if
that's what you're after, you can make two passes with the graphic.>>

D'oh! <thumps head> But now I get to correct Arlen: _all_ OCR programs are
capable of working with bitmaps, since most OCR work is done on scanned
printouts. <g> But that's an excellent addition to my previous post; if you
want the text to scale as if it were a vector, you could certainly run it
through an OCR program and overlay the results on the original screen
capture, or on the screen capture as vectorized by your drawing program.
That's particularly true if the OCR program preserves the layout well, which
many now do. A bit of extra work, but if really crisp text is important,
that might be a good tradeoff.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Do I contradict myself?/ Very well, then I contradict myself,/ I am large,
I contain multitudes." -- Walt Whitman