RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:43:54 -0400

Bruce,

It's not necessarily true that all - or even many - developers and SMEs
would continue to follow the ins and outs of a specific industry application
area if they were no longer working in that market space.

For example, I have worked at a lot of places on a lot of very interesting
applications. While I was immersed in them then, it doesn't mean that I am
now, no matter how intrinsically interesting they are.

To be concrete about it, I no longer follow the intricacies of the
e-learning application area since I don't work in it any more. Does it mean
that I no longer care at all about it? No, just that I now have more of a
curiosity instead of a driving urge to know what's going on. I read articles
and am pleased to see my former employer is doing well (I also track the
stock price!). I just don't care like I used to.

I would say it would be very rare indeed for someone to continue to follow
the details of some industry or application when they are now working in a
new industry or application. There are only so many hours in the day, and I
can only follow so many topics!

My 2¢,

John